Sunday, February 14, 2016

Week 2 Storytelling: The Prince's Bride



From NothingPanda at Etsy

 

“Are you alright, Jonathon?” It sounded like he had been crying again, perhaps a nightmare.

“Yes, Grammy, I was just worried about Dad traveling. I want him to be safe.” Jonathon stayed at his grandmother’s house when his father traveled, which seemed more frequent. His mother had passed away from cancer only three years ago. 

“Okay, how about I read you a bedtime story to try and cheer you up?” Grammy Ronni was famous for her bedtime stories in the Belvedere family. 

“Yes please!” Jonathon wiped away his tears and snuggled further under his blankets.

“Okay, but no interruptions.” Last time Jonathon had interrupted Grammy Ronni’s story. “Deal?”
“Deal!” Jonathon was ready for a good story.

“Alright,” Grammy Ronni cleared her throat and began the tale:

“Once upon a time there was a Prince named Phillip and he was the most handsome prince anyone had seen in the Kingdom Lockia. He had an older brother named Brandon, who was also quite good-looking and was already married to a Duchess in another land. Phillip, however, never found the right girl to propose to and feared he never would! 

To inspire his love he visited the local temple and prayed to the goddess Altura, known for her affairs in love. She heard his prayer and told him to visit the lake that sat near their kingdom and he would be forever on the sea at peace. Phillip immediately told his parents what the goddess had told him and they were very worried for him, as any parent would be! Phillip’s father decided to go with him to the lake to send Phillip off. 

As they arrived at the lake, Phillip’s father told him to be cautious of any mystical beings and that he loved him very, very much. Phillip hugged his father and stepped onto the large boat awaiting his arrival. Later that day Brandon was told that Phillip had shipped off and was very sad to hear of his brother’s fate.

Now on the boat Phillip seemed quite satisfied. He had all the food and drinks he could want on the boat! Even a large comfortable bed to sleep on, which settled his worries! But as time went by Phillip missed his family very much. He began to cry and—"

“Phillip shouldn’t cry. He should be brave! Like his father!” Jonathon chimed in, unable to contain himself any longer.

“Well, everyone gets scared and homesick. And that’s okay. Now, can I continue the story?” Grammy Ronni waited and Jonathon nodded his head.

“Okay. So as Phillip was crying, a goddess above had heard him and felt bad for him. So she went and visited him the next evening to try and calm him. She brought lots of desserts and kissed him goodnight. She told him things would be okay and that she would soothe his troubles.

When Phillip awoke, he remembered the goddess in his dreams and was happy to have found a companion and wife. However, he had not seen her and was sad that he had not been able to look upon his wife’s face! So the next night when she was asleep, Phillip tried to look at her face with a lantern. Phillip was amazed at the beautiful woman that lay next to him. He had never seen anyone so beautiful. But his curiosity led Phillip to be careless and he dripped wax on the beautiful woman’s skin. She awoke and was startled to see Phillip staring at her!

“Oh my! Phillip, you were not supposed to see me!” stated the goddess. Phillip apologized profusely, and finally the goddess told him her name, Corynne. They quickly decided to get married and live on the boat forever, but Corynne had forgotten to tell Phillip that Altura was her mother, and she did not like Phillip! 

Altura quickly heard of the couple’s wishes to marry and whisked Corynne back to their home. Altura then yelled at Corynne, “How could you love that silly boy! You know his family has scorned me since the beginning and that his beauty rivals my own!” But Corynne could not be swayed from her love for the mortal man. So, Altura went back to the ship and told Phillip if he could collect three items he could win her daughter’s hand in marriage. Those three items were: the hair brush of the goddess Avi, known to care for new mothers; a special berry from the gods’ kitchen; and a feather from the eagle that sat watch on the fence of the god Lyon, the god of warriors. Altura was confident because she had already told Avi and Lyon that the young man was coming for their items. What Altura did not expect was the help of Xalti!”

“Now hold on, what is a Xala- yawn- a Xalti?” Jonathon was getting tired, but couldn’t stop himself from asking questions.

“I’ll explain shortly!” Grammy Ronni was ready for the little boy to fall asleep.

“Xalti was King Damian’s legendary pet, a brave lion. He could become as large as a house and as small as a mouse! He ran to Phillip’s aid because Corynne had helped his king previously win the heart of his wife. 

Quickly the two sneaked into Avi’s home and Xalti shrunk so small  he was able to swipe her hairbrush without her knowing! They then moved on to the berries which were simply left out on the counter for anyone to take! Lastly, they gathered all their courage and went to Lyon’s home. Perched with a vigilant eye they saw the eagle Altura had spoken of. Slowly they waited for the eagle to leave his post at sundown, and there next to the fence was a feather! 

Phillip returned the items to Altura, who had no choice but to allow the marriage. The brave man went on to have a large family and became a god himself for his courage!”

Grammy Ronni looked down and the young boy was fast asleep, another successful bedtime story completed.  
 
How I imagined Jonathon. The Princess Bride via MTV. Link






Author's Note:
I read the story of Cupid and Psyche and was very inspired by their tale of love. Growing up I always loved The Princess Bride and so I thought I would make a twist on the way the movie shows the tale being told to a young boy. The tale of Cupid and Psyche in the story is also told to a young girl who is frightened because she was just kidnapped from her wedding day (a rough day to say the least) by an older woman. So in her place is a young boy worried about his father and he is being soothed by his grandmother. Instead of Psyche (a young girl) being the featured beauty I thought a handsome man might acquire some attention as well and I wanted to use fictional gods and goddesses, so as to not confuse others reading my tale. In the original story, it was the Roman gods and goddesses creating trouble for Psyche and Cupid. With such a tight word count it was difficult to fully convey the tale but I was able to capture the basic elements: a young mortal too beautiful for other mortals, is sent away only to be loved by a god/goddess, a forbidden love is formed and is then tested by the mother of said god/goddess, and finally a happy ending!


Bibliography:
Cupid and Psyche from the book The Golden Ass by Apuleius. Website: Poetry in Translation

9 comments:

  1. I love how much dialogue this story had, especially in the beginning. It makes the story a lot more entertaining when there's dialogue and you see the characters interact. I also really like that this story is in the perspective of a grandma telling her grandson a story. You don't hear a lot of stories told that way, so it was very interesting. Your story also had a lot of magical aspects to it, which was very enjoyable. I always loved those kinds of stories as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up watching The Princess Bride because it's one of my dad's very favorite movies/stories, so I appreciated your twist on the classic tale! I had never heard of the love story of Cupid and Psyche before, so that may be something I have to look into! I like the perspective from which you told the story, mirroring that of the original Princess Bride. Overall a great story! You're a very imaginative and skilled writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image at the beginning!! Something about the words.. 'Once upon a time' always puts me in a good mood! You have done a really great job with this story! I love the dialogue! It was really fun to read and entertaining. I'm hoping sometime this semester I can write something in this style. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read more! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your use of a dialogue and found it really easy to imagine what was happening. The characters were portrayed very well and I love the interruptions in the story. I like how you decided to do it this way because people always enjoy reading a story with action and a lesson at the end. Great job and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story is so well written! I really like the style you chose in having the grandmother tell the story. It was almost like a story within a story. You did a really good job of writing their dialogue too. Sometimes I don't do that type of style because I don't want to have to write out dialogue because it can be tedious so I give you props. I thought it was cool to see a mortal win against a god. I was glad to see the mortal man win over his bride and that she was willing to marry him even though there was pressure from her mom. He deserved her too especially after going on that most extreme scavenger hunt.

    I would have loved to hear more on why the wife could originally not be seen by the man. That was kind of a quick part of the story that peeked my interest and left me wanting to know more.

    It was a great story overall though and I really liked the pictures you used. The meme definitely made me laugh and it took me back to my childhood and the bedtime stories I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this was such a sweet way to retell a classic, old story. You wrote the characters' personalities very well, and I like how Jonathan, although promising to keep quiet during the story, still could not resist and still exclaimed during parts of the story. I read this too for the first week, and even with the roles reversed, I still think it's a great story. I also like the idea that you kept the original part where it's a grandmother telling the story to the young boy. The introduction as to why Jonathan was with his grandmother in the beginning of the story is a good touch as well. It cleared up any confusion I might have had of why he would just be at grandma's. Your dialogue for Jonathan made him very endearing and cute. I enjoyed reading the story very much! You are a very great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kaitlyn,
    I thought your story about the Prince’s Bride was really well-written! I definitely loved your use action after the dialogue to show who was speaking instead of the traditional “he said,” “she said,” dialogue tags. That definitely makes better use of word count and makes it more interesting for the reader!

    I also thought you did a god job formatting the story with the size of your paragraphs. It flowed really well how you wrote it.

    One suggestion I would make would be to either make the background behind the words more solid, so you’re not trying to read over the busy background, or make the words a little bigger and bolder. I just had a little trouble reading it.

    I would have also liked a little more information about the original story. I liked how you weaved bits of information about Cupid and Psyche into the author’s note, but I think it might have helped to have a more complete synopsis of the story to compare yours to.

    Overall, I thought you did a great job constructing the story and I thought the changes you made were clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firstly: The Princess Bride! I love the Princess Bride!
    Anyway, back to business: I really enjoyed this story. I thought that your additions to the original story of Cupid and Psyche were really original, and the gender-swapping was a nice touch as well. Were all of the gods and goddesses here Roman? Because I don't remember reading about any of them in Latin...but if they're not traditional then ever better for you, creating your own! I agree that the story format is kind of tight--my stories always end up getting squished in at the end too--but one thing I find helpful is going back to the beginning and seeing if there isn't anything that I don't ABSOLUTELY need, so I can open up some room towards the end of the story. That's what works for me, anyway--I don't know about you, and I thought that this ending worked pretty well! All in all, great job, and I can't to read more of the bedtime stories that the grandmother tells to the little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Kaitlin!

    I come from the other side of the sea in the land of Indian Epics. Great job on your story! The name of your story caught my eye because my best friend absolutely loved The Princess Bride and it took her a while to force me to watch it. I ended up really liking it! I think it is really cool how you tied that into the story about Cupid and Psyche’s love story. The author’s note is super helpful in letting the reader know about their story. That is always very important, especially whenever I am coming from a different class.
    Overall great job on the story. It was a really good read and I loved all the dialogue you had in it!


    P.S. I absolutely love the giff you have!! I completely forgot about that part! It has been a while since I have watched the movie!

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete