Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week 5 Storytelling: Grammy Ronni Strikes Again



Grammy Ronni had just sat down for the evening, when Jonathon called from his bedroom,


“Grammy! I can’t get to sleep, can you tell me a story?” 

Grammy sighed and walked to Jonathon’s room. She opened the door and saw that Jonathon was under the covers, with his light turned on.

“Hi, sweetie, what was the nightmare about this time?” She sat down on the side of Jonathon’s bed.

“There was a giant fish! And it tried to eat me. I couldn’t swim or get away, so it swallowed me whole. It was horrible!” Jonathon shuddered at the recollection of his nightmare.

“Okay, well, I will tell you a story about a fish then! But this fish will be a friendly, helpful fish. Does that sound okay?” 

“Yea!” Jonathon snuggled under his blankets and prepared to imagine Grammy Ronni’s world.
“There once was a young man named John. He loved to be outside and hiking all around the town he lived in. Soon, he discovered an ocean not too far from town. John had never seen so much water in one place before. It was a beautiful sight! And there were fish jumping up out of the water, and when the sun hit their scales they glistened all over. John decided he would become a fisherman right then. He went home and found an old fishing pole and told his mother that he was going to fish for food to help feed them. She was happy about the idea and made a net for him to help catch large amounts of fish.

John’s first day of fishing went well. He caught three big fish. When he brought them home, he decided to sell one for more fishing supplies and keep the other two to eat for dinner. The next day John decided to go to a new spot to fish from. As he walked along the shore he saw a large fish in the water swimming around. John had never seen a fish so beautiful and decided he had to catch it. After several hours of reeling in empty fish hooks, John finally caught the fish! It had pink, orange, and blue scales all over and John decided he could not part with the fish. He quickly collected water in a bag and placed the fish within it so he could keep it alive. After catching more fish for dinner, John left to go home and placed the fish in a home-made pond."

“Wait a minute, why would John’s mom let him keep the fish? Dad doesn’t let me keep things I catch…” Jonathon always had many questions for Grammy Ronni. 

“Well, you catch frogs and dead animals. I don’t think you would want those things after you brought them inside, now would you?” Grammy Ronni had seen many of Jonathon’s catches and unfortunately had smelled them as well.

“No… probably not.” Jonathon shook his head.

“Now, on with the story! John’s mother had to visit relatives for the next two weeks. John continued fishing during the days, but when he came home the house was always cleaned and one time food had even been prepared! One day John finally waited to see who came and cleaned his home. 

John pretended to leave in the morning and then hid himself in a closet to watch. Suddenly the fish from his pond shed its skin and transformed into a woman! As the woman was cleaning, John took the fish skin and burned it so that she would stay a woman. For she was a very beautiful woman and he wanted to marry her! The woman quickly realized what had happened and told John that he should not have done that, but what was done was done. 

They fell in love and tales of the woman’s beauty were spread throughout the town. Soon the town’s king decided he would like to marry the woman himself and had her kidnapped while John was out fishing. John was very upset when he came home and saw that she was gone. He immediately ran to the king’s mansion and begged to have the woman back, for they had planned to be married in three days! 

The king laughed and told John that if he could find a pig that could fly, he would give the woman back. John cried when he returned home for how could he find a pig that could fly? That evening the woman snuck out to John’s home and told him to return to the spot where he caught her. There a wizard would appear and if he told him that the woman of the ocean sent her condolences he would give John an egg. She also warned John to make sure to guard the egg.

John went and just as the woman said, the wizard appeared! After an exchange of words the wizard gave him an egg. The next morning John awoke and the egg hatched. Within was a little pig with wings! John scooped up the piglet and took him to the king. The king was flabbergasted that John had found a pig with wings. So he sent John on another quest. This time John had to find a blue mushroom the glowed in the dark! 

Again John went home and cried because he did not know where he could possible find a blue, glowing mushroom. The woman snuck back out of the mansion and told John to go back to the wizard in the ocean. The wizard would give John three seeds and if he planted them by the pond in his backyard, they would bloom into blue, glowing mushrooms!


John did as she said and in the morning there were three blue, glowing mushrooms. John was so excited he rushed to the mansion to show the king. The king could not deny John a second time and so John and the woman got married!”

Grammy Ronni looked down at Jonathon and he was fast asleep. Another successful story!

The Fish-Peri

One of the may beautiful Turkish illustrations from sacred text



Author's Note:

 I really loved reading all of the different Turkish Fairy Tales, but my favorite was the Fish-Peri story. I tried to include as many different elements of the original story as possible. I had a man become a fisherman, a fish that transformed into a woman, the trials the king puts the man through, and a happy marriage at the end! Many of the Turkish Fairy Tales included elements of transformation, magic, and the hero being tested by a king, or Padishah. I also wanted to revisit Grammy Ronni and Jonathon for this story. I thought it would be the perfect story to ease Jonathon after a big scary nightmare of a fish. I really like writing 'bed time stories' for Jonathon and enjoy imagining how he would interject himself into the story. Of course young kids always have so many questions and are curious, so I tried to show that as best I could. I also thought about when I was young and always wanted to bring animals I found home. My mom wasn't happy about it, so I figured Jonathon and his dad would have similar experiences. The word count is definitely become more and more a limiting factor for my imagination, but I am doing the best I can! 

Turkish Fairy Tales by Ignacz Kunos

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlin! This is a great story I really enjoyed reading it. I love how you made the changes from the original story like how the man became a fisherman and the fish transformed into a woman. This story has a lot of details to make it so enjoyable to read and made me imagine the whole scene. I also liked how you thought of one of your own experiences in life to put a similar experience of it in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin,

    You did a wonderful job writing this great story I really enjoyed reading it. The changes you made from the original story were very well done. I really liked how the man and the fish transformed into their respective characters, a fisherman and a women. This story is enjoyable to read and made me imagine the whole scene because of all the extra detail you put in the story. I really liked how you linked an experience of you own in life to connect to a experience that is alike in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlin I really liked that you chose this story to expand upon because it was one of my favorite from the turkish unit as well! I thought it was really clever that you changed it to a kind of princess bride type of storytelling. I liked how you related the story to what the boy had just dreamed so that he could rest easy! It was also really fun that you tied in part of you own life into the story because I think it let others relate to it too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started reading your story, I thought I had heard those names before. I remember reading your last story and loving how you make them into bedtime stories. It is a way to keep these folktales as folktales but with a twist. The dialogue is great and work as really great interceptions between elements of the story. It's like in an intense action movie and one characters gives some comedic relief. I also just liked your story in general. I think you wrote it out very nicely and I can tell that you thought about what was going to happen next a lot. Your stories just have so many elements to them, but somehow you make it work beautifully! I also think that you set up your stories very nicely. They are not in long paragraphs that drag on forever. They are small and precise and very, very enjoyable to read. I am really excited to see what more stories you come up with! Hopefully some more with Grammy and Jonathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kaitlin!
    I really enjoyed your different rendition of this story. I have two nieces and they would really like reading hearing this story. I thought your writing style was good as well. The interjection of the main storyteller (Grammy Ronni) and the child played well into the actual story. It brought a different storyline into the bedtime story. Your detail in the sentences helped make the story more vibrant too. It added extra information which makes the reader more invested in what is happening with the characters. It paints a picture in my mind and I am able to truly visualize what is going on. You are able to move your story along at a good pace and because of this I want to keep reading. I never once got bored. I really like your style and I am looking forward to reading more of your stories! Really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an awesome story! I can see why this Turkish fairytale was your favorite of the unit. It’s such a nice, simple story that has a lot of meaning as well. Plus, you can’t beat a happy ending. I love how you made it into a bedtime story so that the fact that it is a happy story can be even more celebrated! I thought the interjections you wrote from the little boy were really realistic and made me feel even more immersed in the story because that’s how talking to little kids usually goes. I hadn’t read the Turkish story before, so I was a little surprised that the fish-woman was so loyal to the fisherman who had burned her fish skin, but I’m glad she was! I guess there are a lot of stories that feature a somewhat evil king, so it’s not too surprising. I loved reading this sweet bedtime story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's so neat that you are using Grammy Ronni telling Jonathon bedtime stories as the platform for your storytelling style. I couldn't agree more with you about the word count being a limiting factor; the last couple of times I have found myself cutting my story off abruptly at the end or having to go back and take sections out because I was at the word limit... It's just so hard when you make changes because then you have to use more words to explain things better. I chose to check out your portfolio because the intro wording mentioned the character of Grammy Ronni and Jonathon multiple times and I wanted to see if they were the main characters. Further I chose this story because it seemed like a good lead in to yours others that also involve these two characters. You did a great job with the details of your story.

    ReplyDelete